- ID: EG10223
- Name: DeoR
- Organism: E. coli
- UniProt ID: P0ACK5
- Description: DeoR is a transcriptional repressor that negatively regulate genes related to transport and catabolism of deoxyribosenucleoside nucleotides. In particular, they repress the expression of nucleotide and deoxyribonucleic catabolic enzymes, nupG (a nucleotide specific transport protein), and tsx (a channel-forming protein). It is one of a family of DeoR transcriptional regulators, which includes another transcriptional repressor CytR. DeoR has two domains: an amino terminal domain that can potentially contain a helix-turn-helix motif and a carboxy-terminal domain that is used in the oligomerization and recognition of a possible co-inducer. In solution, DeoR is an octamer, but forms multple oligomers in its target promoters. Cooperative binding to inverted repeat sequences creates a repression DNA loop that regulates the transcription. Deoxyribose-5-phosphate acts as an inducer for DeoR. In its presence, DeoR has a higher disassociation constant, preventing it from binding to DNA operator site and thus allowing the nucleotide and deoxyribonucleic catabolic enzymes, nupG, and tsx to be expressed.
- DNA Length: 759
- DNA sequence:
ATG GAG ACT CGC CGT GAG GAA CGT ATT GGG CAG TTA TTG CAA GAA TTA AAA CGT AGC GAT AAG TTG CAT CTG AAA GAC GCC GCT GCC CTG TTG GGC GTT TCC GAG ATG ACT ATC CGT CGC GAT CTT AAT AAT CAC TCT GCC CCT GTG GTC TTA TTA GGC GGC TAC ATT GTT TTA GAA CCC CGC AGC GCC AGC CAT TAT CTG TTG TCC GAC CAA AAG TCC CGC TTG GTA GAG GAG AAA CGC CGT GCG GCT AAG TTG GCG GCT ACG TTA GTT GAG CCG GAT CAA ACT TTA TTT TTC GAT TGC GGA ACT ACG ACC CCA TGG ATT ATT GAA GCT ATC GAT AAT GAG ATT CCT TTT ACT GCC GTG TGC TAC TCG TTG AAT ACA TTT CTG GCC CTG AAA GAA AAG CCG CAC TGT CGT GCA TTC CTT TGT GGG GGG GAG TTC CAT GCG AGT AAC GCC ATT TTC AAA CCC ATT GAC TTT CAA CAG ACA TTA AAC AAT TTT TGC CCT GAC ATC GCC TTT TAC AGT GCT GCA GGT GTT CAC GTC TCC AAA GGA GCA ACT TGC TTT AAT CTT GAG GAG TTG CCT GTA AAA CAT TGG GCC ATG AGT ATG GCC CAA AAA CAT GTA TTG GTC GTG GAC CAT TCT AAA TTC GGG AAG GTG CGT CCA GCC CGC ATG GGA GAC CTG AAG CGC TTC GAT ATC GTG GTA TCG GAT TGC TGT CCC GAG GAT GAG TAC GTC AAG TAT GCC CAG ACT CAA CGC ATC AAG TTG ATG TAC TAG
- Amino Acid length: 252
- Amino Acid sequence:
Function and Homologs
- Functional Category: Regulation
- Product: DNA-binding transcriptional repressor DeoR
- Module: deo operon repressor
- Closest homologous proteins: The top (max three) homologous proteins to this protein, as identified by BLAST searches.
- Equivalent E. coli / JCVI functional protein: MMSYN1_0730
- Expression Level: low
- Expression Level Hypothesis: We can see that DeoR is one of many HTH-type transcriptional regulators that repress the deo operon in Ecoli - another is CytR. Thus, perhaps the expression level of DeoR only needs to be low for the Deo Operon to be properly repressed.
- Expression Level References and Description: Ecoli Proteomic data. Information about CytR.
- Expression Time: early
- Expression Time Hypothesis: Transcriptional regulators are key to ensuring that proteins are synthesized in the correct proportions. Thus, these regulators must be expressed early in the cell life cycle to ensure proper creation and functioning of proteins later on.
- Expression Time References and Description: Research description above.
- Other Components: This protein does not require other components to repress the deo operon.
- Possible Dependencies: DNA Operator Site The repressor requires a DNA operator site to bind to in order for repression to happen.
- Process: Induce expression of nupG
- Inputs: deoxyribose-5-phosphate
- Outputs: DeoR/deoxyribose-5-phosphate complex, nupG
- Reference: DeoR. Inducers