- ID: EG10864
- Name: rplA
- Organism: E. coli
- UniProt ID: 
- Description: The L1 protein is a component of the 50S subunit of the ribosome and also functions in the post-transcriptional regulation of the ribosomal protein genes encoded in the L11 operon. Ribosomes lacking L1 show a lower translation activity than wild type and are defective in binding of aminoacylated tRNA. L1 has been identified within a 3-D map of the 70S ribosome constructed by cryo-electron microscopy. L1 interacts with a region in the 5' end of 23S rRNA. It also can be crosslinked to a region near the central fold of aminoacylated tRNA in the P and E site. L1 is located within 21 Å of nucleotide C2475 of 23S rRNA, near the peptidyltransferase center. L1 is a translational repressor of the synthesis of L11 and L1, the proteins encoded by the L11 operon. Synthesis of L1 is regulated by translational coupling to the synthesis of L11. The target site for L1 binding to the mRNA is near the translation initiation site of L11, and the presence of 23S rRNA relieves translational inhibition by L1. The predicted secondary structure of the L1 binding region within 23S rRNA and rplKA mRNA is similar and has been studied experimentally.
- DNA Length: 705 base pairs.
- DNA sequence:
ATG GCC AAG TTA ACA AAA CGT ATG CGT GTC ATC CGC GAG AAG GTA GAC GCA ACC AAG CAA TAC GAC ATC AAT GAG GCG ATT GCG TTA TTA AAG GAA TTAGCC ACC GCG AAA TTC GTT GAA TCG GTA GAT GTC GCA GTT AAC TTG GGG ATC GAT GCC CGC AAG AGT GAC CAA AAC GTA CGT GGT GCT ACA GTT TTG CCTCAC GGT ACG GGG CGC TCT GTA CGT GTT GCT GTG TTC ACA CAG GGG GCC AAC GCT GAG GCA GCG AAG GCA GCC GGT GCG GAA TTG GTC GGT ATG GAG GACCTG GCT GAC CAG ATT AAA AAG GGA GAA ATG AAT TTC GAC GTT GTC ATC GCG TCT CCG GAC GCG ATG CGC GTC GTA GGA CAG TTG GGC CAA GTG CTG GGTCCC CGT GGT CTG ATG CCG AAC CCG AAA GTC GGC ACC GTA ACG CCC AAC GTG GCA GAG GCA GTT AAG AAT GCA AAA GCC GGT CAG GTG CGC TAC CGC AACGAT AAA AAT GGT ATC ATT CAC ACT ACG ATC GGA AAG GTC GAT TTT GAT GCG GAC AAA TTA AAA GAG AAT CTT GAG GCG TTG TTG GTG GCG TTG AAA AAGGCA AAG CCT ACC CAG GCA AAG GGC GTA TAT ATC AAA AAG GTT TCG ATT TCC ACA ACT ATG GGG GCT GGT GTG GCT GTC GAT CAA GCT GGT CTG TCG GCAAGC GTA AAT TAA
- Amino Acid length: 234 amino acids.
- Amino Acid sequence:
MAKLTKRMRV IREKVDATKQ YDINEAIALL KELATAKFVE SVDVAVNLGI DARKSDQNVR GATVLPHGTG RSVRVAVFTQ GANAEAAKAA GAELVGMEDL ADQIKKGEMN FDVVIASPDA MRVVGQLGQV LGPRGLMPNP KVGTVTPNVA EAVKNAKAGQ VRYRNDKNGI IHTTIGKVDF DADKLKENLE ALLVALKKAK PTQAKGVYIK KVSISTTMGA GVAVDQAGLS ASVN
Function and Homologs
- Functional Category: Translation.
- Product: 50S ribosomal protein L1.
- Module: Ribosome.
- Closest homologous proteins: The top homologous protein to this protein, as identified by BLAST searches.
- Equivalent JCVI functional protein: MMSYN1 0809
- Expression Level: High
- Expression Level Hypothesis: The gene product is a component of the 50S ribosome subunit, so its expression level is a limiting factor for ribosome production. Because ribosomes are produced frequently in cells, the expression level is high.
- Expression Level References and Description: Information from File:MgenitaliumSimProteinCounts.xlsx. There are 76877 counts of this protein per E. coli cell, making its expression level high-- sure of this choice.
- Expression Time: Right at beginning.
- Expression Level Hypothesis: Cells must be able to produce proteins from the outset, and proteins cannot be created without ribosomes. Cells have ribosomes at the start of their life cycle, but more must by synthesized from the start in order to enable translation of other proteins.
- Expression Time References and Description: Reasoning based on fact that translation is crucial to cells at any point in the life cycle.
- Other Components in the functional module: EG10887
- Possible Dependencies: RNA Polymerase
- Process: L1 is a translational repressor of the synthesis of L11 and L1, the proteins encoded by the L11 operon. Synthesis of L1 is regulated by translational coupling to the synthesis of L11. The target site for L1 binding to the mRNA is near the translation initiation site of L11, and the presence of 23S rRNA relieves translational inhibition by L1. 
- Inputs: mRNA
- Outputs: mRNA+L1
We will handle this - not part of your assignment
- Synthesis Score: The synthesis score: 1, 2,3
- Predicted Translation Rate: Prediction of construct translation rate from the RBS calculator
- Design Notes and Details:
- GenBank File: A link to the GenBank file. file