- ID: EG10881
- Name: rplT
- Organism: JCVI-Syn3.0
- UniProt ID: P0A7L3
- Description: This gene is an important component for ribosomes, a type of RNA, in translation. RNA comes in three different forms, messenger RNA, transfer RNA, and ribosomal RNA. Messenger RNA (or mRNA) copies the genetic information from the DNA. Transfer RNA (or tRNA) is responsible for desiphering the mRNA. Ribosomal RNA (or rRNA) uses a set of proteins to form ribosomes.  Ribosomes catalyzes mRNA protein synthasis. To allow tRNA bindings, the ribosomes expose the codons of mRNA. ⅓ of the mass of the ribosome consists of protein (broken down into smaller subunits), the other is made up of RNA.  The protein L20 is responsible for binding directly to 23S ribosomal RNA and is necessary for first step in the in vitro assembly of the 50S ribosomal subunit, but not for its protein synthesizing functions.  This 50S ribsomal mainly consists of other proteins, but also contains ribosomal RNA. 
- DNA Length: 354 base pairs.
- DNA sequence:
ATG GCT CGC GTC AAA CGC GGA GTC ATT GCG CGT GCC CGC CAT AAA AAA ATT CTG AAA CAA GCT AAG GGT TAT TAT GGC GCC CGC TCC CGC GTT TAC CGTGTG GCT TTT CAG GCG GTT ATC AAA GCA GGC CAA TAC GCC TAC CGT GAT CGC CGC CAA CGT AAA CGC CAG TTT CGC CAA CTG TGG ATC GCA CGT ATC AACGCT GCG GCA CGC CAG AAC GGA ATT TCG TAT TCT AAG TTC ATC AAC GGG CTG AAG AAA GCA TCC GTC GAG ATC GAC CGC AAA ATT TTG GCT GAC ATT GCTGTC TTT GAC AAA GTA GCG TTT ACC GCG CTT GTA GAA AAG GCC AAG GCT GCC TTA GCG
- Amino Acid length: 118 amino acids
- Amino Acid sequence:
Function and Homologs
- Functional Category: Translation.
- Product: 50S ribosomal protein L20
- Module: Ribosome
- Closest homologous proteins: The top (max three) homologous proteins to this protein, as identified by BLAST searches.
- LSU ribosomal protein L20p [Escherichia coli ISC11], 225 / 100% / 5e-76 / 98% / Link Accession
- Chain O, Real Space Refined Coordinates Of The 50s Subunit Fitted Into The Low Resolution Cryo-Em Map Of The Ef-G.Gtp State Of E. Coli 70s Ribosome, 223 / 99% / 2e-75 / 100%,Link Accession
- Chain O, Structure Of The 50s Subunit Of A Secm-Stalled E. Coli Ribosome Complex Obtained By Fitting Atomic Models For Rna And Protein Components Into Cryo-Em Map Emd-1143, 220 / 97% / 2e-74 / 100% / Link Accession
- Equivalent E. coli / JCVI functional protein: MMSYN1_0198.
- Expression Level: High.
- Expression Level Hypothesis: This gene encodes for a protein that is crucial for the in vitro assembly process of the 50S ribosomal subunit, a component of the ribosome. Naturally, because ribosomes are a crucial component of translation, necessary for cell growth and function, the level would be high.
- Expression Level References and Description: This level was taken directly from the database for the proteomic data on E. coli expression analysis: 
- Expression Time: Early
- Expression Time Hypothesis: This protein is crucial for a ribosomal subunit, and thus crucial for the translation process, so it must be expressed early.
- Expression Time References and Description: Information was gathered mainly from previous sources, see description.
- Other Components: EG10882, rplV (50S ribosomal protein L22), binds to 23S rNA, important for the assembly of 50S, catalyzed by rplT, 
- Possible Dependencies: EG10893 rpoA, catalyzes the transcription of DNA into RNA, required for translation to take place and thus the ribsome 
- Process: catalyzes the peptidyl transfer reaction
- Input: aminoacyl-tRNA, carbonyl group of a peptidyl-tRNA
- Output: peptide extended by one amino acid esterified to the A site tRNA bound to the ribosomal A site, deacylated tRNA in the P site
- Resources: Wikipedia
- Synthesis Score: The synthesis score of your construct: 1, 2,3
- Predicted Translation Rate: Prediction of construct translation rate from the RBS calculator
- Design Notes and Details: For example, had to use a rare codon to fix folding energy;
- GenBank File: A link to the GenBank file. file
- Lodish, Harvey. "The Three Roles of RNA in Protein Synthesis." Molecular Cell Biology. 4th Edition. U.S. National Library of Medicine, 01 Jan. 1970. Web. 16 May 2017.
- EMBL-EBI, InterPro. "InterPro." Ribosomal Protein L20 (IPR005813). N.p., n.d. Web. 16 May 2017.
- European Bioinformatics InstituteProtein Information ResourceSIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics. "50S Ribosomal Protein L20." RplT - 50S Ribosomal Protein L20 - Mycoplasma Mycoides Subsp. Mycoides SC (strain PG1) - RplT
- "50S." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 16 Apr. 2017. Web. 16 May 2017.