- ID: EG10886
- Name: rpmB
- Organism: E. coli
- UniProt ID: P0A7M2
- Description: The L28 protein is a component of the 50S subunit of the ribosome and is required for ribosome assembly. L28 interacts with 23S rRNA and crosslinks to L9. L28 is labeled by the macrolides carbomycin A, niddamycin and tylosin, which inhibit ribosomal activity. As a note, 50S is the larger subunit of the 70S ribosome of prokaryotes. It is the site of inhibition for antibiotics such as macrolides, chloramphenicol, clindamycin, and the pleuromutilins. Also, for its functions, 50S includes the activity that catalyzes peptide bond formation (peptidyl transfer reaction), prevents premature polypeptide hydrolysis, provides a binding site for the G-protein factors (assists initiation, elongation, and termination), and helps protein folding after synthesis.
- DNA Length: 234 base pairs.
- DNA sequence:
ATG TCG CGC GTG TGT CAA GTT ACA GGT AAA CGC CCT GTA ACG GGG AAT AAT CGC TCC CAT GCA CTT AAC GCC ACT AAA CGT CGT TTT CTT CCG AAC CTG CAC TCT CAC CGC TTT TGG GTC GAG TCT GAG AAG CGT TTC GTG ACA CTG CGC GTA TCC GCC AAG GGA ATG CGT GTA ATC GAC AAG AAG GGA ATC GAC ACA GTT CTG GCT GAA CTT CGT GCT CGC GGT GAG AAA TAT
- Amino Acid length: 78 amino acids.
- Amino Acid sequence:
Function and Homologs
- Functional Category: Translation
- Product: 50S ribosomal protein L28
- Module: ribosome
- Closest homologous proteins: The top (max three) homologous proteins to this protein, as identified by BLAST searches.
- 50S ribosomal protein L28 [Shigella boydii], Max score: 161 / Query Cover: 100% / E-Value: 1e-50 / Ident: 99%, WP_075331208.1
- 50S ribosomal protein L28 [Shigella flexneri], Max score: 160 / Query Cover: 100% / E-Value: 5e-50 / Ident: 99%, WP_064198875.1
- 50S ribosomal protein L28 [Kluyvera intermedia], Max score: 160 /Query Cover: 100% / E-Value: 6e-50 / Ident: 97%, WP_062775871.1
- Equivalent JCVI functional protein: MMSYN1 0422
- Expression Level: high
- Expression Level Hypothesis: is a part of a functioning ribosomes, which the cell needs in order to build all proteins; a large number of ribosomes facilitates fast cell growth.
- Expression Level References and Description: M. genitalium model data
- Expression Time: right at the beginning
- Expression Level Hypothesis: This protein is a subunit of the ribosome and is critical in the ribosome assembly, which is critical for protein synthesis, so my theory is that it should function right at the beginning
- Expression Time References and Description: Found information about ribosomes and their functionality in 
- Other Components: rplA ribosomal protein L1
- Possible Dependencies: tRNA ligase The ribosome requires tRNA to be produced and exist in order to be able to translate
- Process: Translation
- Inputs: aminoacylated initiator methionine tRNA, GTP, and initiation factor 2
- Outputs: polypeptide chain from the ribosome
- Reference: Alberts, et al. Molecular Biology of the Cell, 4th Edition Figure 6-66
We will handle this - not part of your assignment
- Synthesis Score: The synthesis score: 1, 2,3
- Predicted Translation Rate: Prediction of construct translation rate from the RBS calculator
- Design Notes and Details:
- GenBank File: A link to the GenBank file. file