- ID: EG10887
- Name: rpmC
- Organism: E. coli
- UniProt ID: 
- Description: The L29 protein is a component of the 50S subunit of the ribosome. L29 interacts with 23S rRNA and is photoaffinity labeled by puromycin, an analog of the 3' end of aminoacylated tRNA. L29 crosslinks to Trigger Factor (TF) and contacts the Signal Recognition Particle, but is not required for the association of TF with the ribosome. L29 together with ACP stimulates the binding of Tn7-encoded TnsD to attTn7, the insertion site for Tn7 in the E. coli chromosome. L23 also stimulates Tn7 transposition in vitro. A mutation in L29 decreases Tn7 transposition in vivo.
- DNA Length: 192 base pairs.
- DNA sequence:
ATG AAA GCG AAG GAG CTG CGT GAA AAG AGT GTA GAG GAA TTA AAT ACG GAG CTG CTT AAT CTT TTG CGC GAG CAG TTT AAC TTG CGT ATG CAG GCT GCTTCG GGT CAA TTA CAG CAG AGT CAC CTT TTG AAA CAA GTA CGC CGC GAT GTT GCT CGT GTT AAA ACT TTG CTT AAT GAG AAA GCT GGC GCA TAA
- Amino Acid length: 63 amino acids.
- Amino Acid sequence:
MKAKELREKS VEELNTELLN LLREQFNLRM QAASGQLQQS HLLKQVRRDV ARVKTLLNEK AGA
Function and Homologs
- Functional Category: Translation
- Product: 50S ribosomal protein L29 (subunit)
- Module: Ribosome
- Closest homologous proteins: The top homologous proteins to this protein, as identified by BLAST searches.
- Equivalent JCVI functional protein: MMSYN1 0663
- Expression Level: High
- Expression Level Hypothesis: The gene product is a component of the 50S ribosome subunit, so its expression level is a limiting factor for ribosome production. Because ribosomes are produced frequently in cells, the expression level is high.
- Expression Level References and Description: Information from File:MgenitaliumSimProteinCounts.xlsx. There are 119802 counts of this protein per E. coli cell, making its expression level high-- sure of this choice.
- Expression Time: Right at beginning.
- Expression Level Hypothesis: Cells must be able to produce proteins from the outset, and proteins cannot be created without ribosomes. Cells have ribosomes at the start of their life cycle, but more must by synthesized from the start in order to enable translation of other proteins.
- Expression Time References and Description: Reasoning based on fact that translation is crucial to cells at any point in the life cycle.
- Other Components in the functional module: EG10864
- Possible Dependencies: Asparagine Biosynthesis
- Process: L29 together with ACP stimulates the binding of Tn7-encoded TnsD to attTn7, the insertion site for Tn7 in the E. coli chromosome. L23 also stimulates Tn7 transposition in vitro. A mutation in L29 decreases Tn7 transposition in vivo 
- Inputs: Tn7-encoded TnsD, attTn7
- Outputs: aaTn7+TnsD
We will handle this - not part of your assignment
- Synthesis Score: The synthesis score: 1, 2,3
- Predicted Translation Rate: Prediction of construct translation rate from the RBS calculator
- Design Notes and Details:
- GenBank File: A link to the GenBank file. file