- ID: EG10889
- Name: rpmE
- Organism: E. coli
- UniProt ID: P0A7M9
- Description: Ribosomes catalyze protein synthesis and consist of a small 40S subunit and a large 60S subunit. Together these subunits are composed of 4 RNA species and approximately 80 structurally distinct proteins. This ribosomal protein is encoded by a gene. The protein belongs to the L31E family of ribosomal proteins. It is located in the cytoplasm. Ribosomal protein L31 binds the 23S rRNA.
- DNA Length: 210 base pairs.
- DNA sequence:
ATG AAG AAG GAT ATT CAC CCA AAG TAT GAG GAA ATC ACA GCA TCA TGC TCA TGT GGA AAT GTT ATG AAA ATC CGT TCT ACC GTA GGC CAT GAC CTG AAT TTG GAT GTG TGC TCT AAA TGC CAC CCG TTT TTC ACA GGG AAA CAA CGT GAC GTG GCC ACC GGG GGG CGC GTC GAC CGT TTT AAT AAG CGT TTC AAC ATT CCT GGC TCT AAA TAA
- Amino Acid length: 70 amino acids.
- Amino Acid sequence:
Function and Homologs
- Functional Category: Translation.
- Product: 50S ribosomal protein L31
- Module: Ribosome
The following restriction enzyme sites have been found in the selected reading frame: PvuI (CGATCG)
- Closest homologous proteins: The top (max three) homologous proteins to this protein, as identified by BLAST searches.
- Equivalent E. coli / JCVI functional protein: MMSYN1_0137.
- Expression Level: high
- Expression Level Hypothesis: The expression level is high because the gene has 55159 protein copies/cell.
- Expression Level References and Description: 
- Expression Time: Early
- Expression Level Hypothesis: Structural component of ribosome, meaning it is involved in translation. Functioning ribosomes are a critical component of producing new proteins: we need to produce more functioning ribosomes in order to synthesize later components.
- Expression Time References and Description: 
- Other Components: EG10892 rpmH_bact: ribosomal protein L34
- Possible Dependencies: tRNA ligase. The ribosome requires tRNA to be produced and exist in order to be able to translate.
- Process: translation elongation
- Inputs: tRNA-aa, 2x GTP, mRNA, polypeptide(n)
- Outputs: tRNA, 2x GDP, mRNA, polypeptide(n+1)
- Reference: Alberts, et al. Molecular Biology of the Cell, 4th Edition Figure 6-66