- ID: EG10901
- Name: rpsB
- Organism: E. coli
- UniProt ID: P0A7V0
This gene codes for the S2 protein, a component of the 30S subunit of the ribosome which contains a 30S and 50S subunit. It is a necessary structural component of the ribosome (UniProt). S2 is required for S1 (another ribosome structural protein) binding to the ribosome (EcoCyc). Expression of S2 is autoregulated, involving conserved elements located in the 5' UTR of the rpsB-tsf mRNA. Regulation may also involve the S1 protein (EcoCyc). This gene is generally well-conserved as ribosomal proteins tend to be, since they are so necessary for cell survival and reproduction. Ribosomes are central to translation of RNA to protein. S2 is involved in the formation of the translation initiation complex, where it might contact the messenger RNA and several components of the ribosome (InterPro).
- DNA Length: 726 base pairs.
- DNA sequence:
ATG GCT ACC GTG AGT ATG CGC GAT ATG TTA AAG GCC GGA GTC CAC TTT GGG CAC CAG ACC CGT TAC TGG AAC CCG AAA ATG AAA CCA TTT ATT TTT GGCGCA CGC AAT AAG GTA CAT ATC ATC AAC TTA GAA AAG ACC GTG CCA ATG TTC AAT GAG GCT CTG GCC GAG TTG AAT AAA ATT GCA AGT CGC AAA GGT AAGATT CTT TTT GTG GGT ACC AAG CGC GCA GCA TCA GAG GCT GTA AAA GAC GCG GCG TTA TCG TGC GAC CAG TTC TTC GTA AAT CAT CGC TGG CTT GGT GGAATG CTG ACC AAC TGG AAA ACA GTT CGC CAA AGT ATT AAG CGT CTG AAG GAT TTA GAA ACT CAG AGC CAG GAC GGA ACG TTT GAT AAG TTA ACG AAG AAGGAA GCG CTT ATG CGC ACC CGT GAA CTT GAA AAA TTG GAA AAC TCG TTG GGT GGC ATC AAA GAC ATG GGG GGG TTA CCA GAC GCA TTG TTC GTG ATT GACGCC GAC CAC GAA CAT ATC GCC ATC AAA GAA GCG AAT AAT TTA GGT ATT CCA GTG TTT GCC ATC GTG GAC ACC AAC TCT GAC CCG GAT GGG GTG GAC TTCGTA ATC CCA GGA AAC GAC GAT GCA ATC CGT GCG GTA ACC TTG TAT TTG GGT GCT GTC GCT GCG ACC GTT CGT GAG GGC CGT AGC CAG GAT TTA GCG AGCCAA GCT GAG GAG TCT TTT GTG GAG GCA GAG TAG
- Amino Acid length: 241 amino acids.
- Amino Acid sequence:
MATVSMRDML KAGVHFGHQT RYWNPKMKPF IFGARNKVHI INLEKTVPMF NEALAELNKI
ASRKGKILFV GTKRAASEAV KDAALSCDQF FVNHRWLGGM LTNWKTVRQS IKRLKDLETQ
SQDGTFDKLT KKEALMRTRE LEKLENSLGG IKDMGGLPDA LFVIDADHEH IAIKEANNLG
IPVFAIVDTN SDPDGVDFVI PGNDDAIRAV TLYLGAVAAT VREGRSQDLA SQAEESFVEA
Function and Homologs
- Functional Category: Translation.
- Product: Ribosome 30s subunit S2 component
- Module: Ribosome
- Closest homologous proteins: The top (max three) homologous proteins to this protein, as identified by BLAST searches.
- Equivalent JCVI functional protein: MMSYN1 0540
- Expression Level: high
- Expression Level Hypothesis:
The ribosome is necessary for translation to make proteins, so we would need a lot of this subunit to help for the ribosome in the cell.
- Expression Level References and Description:
- Expression Time: early
- Expression Time References and Description:
Ribosomes are not necessary for originally transcribing DNA to RNA, so this would likely not be needed right at the beginning, but the subunit would still be necessary early on since it is integral to forming ribosomes for making proteins (UniProt).
- Other Components: The 30S part of the ribosome also needs the rpsA subunit.
- Possible Dependencies: The ribosome depends on tRNA for translation to happen.
- Process: Lengthening an amino acid chain
- Inputs: amino acid chain(n), charged tRNA
- Outputs: amino acid chain(n+1), tRNA
We will handle this - not part of your assignment
- Synthesis Score: The synthesis score: 1, 2,3
- Predicted Translation Rate: Prediction of construct translation rate from the RBS calculator
- Design Notes and Details:
- GenBank File: A link to the GenBank file. file