- ID: EG10911
- Name: rpsL
- Organism: E. coli
- UniProt ID: P0A7S3 
- Description: The S12 protein plays a critical role in translational accuracy, as well as being a part of a protein cluster that holds together parts of the 30S subunit. S12 has the ability to bind RNA and "act as an RNA chaperone in rito", aiding in the splicing of specific genes.  It stables bases of the 16S rRNA that contributes to tRNA selection in the mRNA backbone, as well as in the A site. 
- DNA Length: 369 base pairs.
- DNA sequence:
ATG GCA ACA GTT AAC CAG CTG GTA CGC AAA CCA CGT GCT CGC AAA GTT GCG AAA AGC AAC GTG CCT GCG CTG GAA GCA TGC CCG CAA AAA CGT GGC GTA TGT ACT CGT GTA TAT ACT ACC ACT CCT AAA AAA CCG AAC TCC GCG CTG CGT AAA GTA TGC CGT GTT CGT CTG ACT AAC GGT TTC GAA GTG ACT TCC TAC ATC GGT GGT GAA GGT CAC AAC CTG CAG GAG CAC TCC GTG ATC CTG ATC CGT GGC GGT CGT GTT AAA GAC CTC CCG GGT GTT CGT TAC CAC ACC GTA CGT GGT GCG CTT GAC TGC TCC GGC GTT AAA GAC CGT AAG CAG GCT CGT TCC AAG TAT GGC GTG AAG CGT CCT AAG GCT TAA
- Amino Acid length: 124 amino acids.
- Amino Acid sequence:
MATVNQLVRK PRARKVAKSN VPALEACPQK RGVCTRVYTT TPKKPNSALR KVCRVRLTNG
FEVTSYIGGE GHNLQEHSVI LIRGGRVKDL PGVRYHTVRG ALDCSGVKDR KQARSKYGVK
Function and Homologs
- Functional Category: Translation.
- Product: Ribosomal Protein S12.
- Module: Ribosome.
- Closest homologous proteins:
- 30S ribosomal protein S12 [Shigella flexneri 2850-71], Max score: 646/Query Cover: 100%/E-Value: 6e-84/Ident: 100%, [WP_000246815.1]
- 30S ribosomal protein S12 [Escherichia sp. KTE11], Max score: 646/Query Cover: 100%/E-Value: 6e-84/Ident: 100%, [WP_000246815.1]
- 30S ribosomal protein S12 [Escherichia sp. KTE52], Max score: 646/Query Cover: 100%/E-Value: 6e-84/Ident: 100%, [WP_000246815.1]
- Equivalent E. coli / JCVI functional protein: MMSYN1 0148.
- Expression Level: High.
- Expression Level Hypothesis: The gene is expressed at a high level due to it being an RNA binding site. Because it encodes parts of subunits of ribosomes, high expression would be expected.
- Expression Level References and Description: Provided data sheet [MgenitaliumSimProteinCounts.xlsx].
- Expression Time: The gene would be expressed early in the lifecycle of the organism.
- Expression Level Hypothesis: As the gene is an RNA binding site, the gene would be expressed early in the lifecycle.
- Expression Time References and Description: 
- Other Components in the functional module: Other ribosomal proteins in the 30S subunit, such as EG10901
- Possible Dependencies: Histidine 
- Process: Formation of the 30S subunit of the prokaryotic ribosome.
- Inputs: S12 protein complexes
- Outputs: 30S ribosomal subunit
We will handle this - not part of your assignment
- Synthesis Score: The synthesis score: 1, 2,3
- Predicted Translation Rate: Prediction of construct translation rate from the RBS calculator
- Design Notes and Details:
- GenBank File: A link to the GenBank file. file