- ID: EG10920
- Name: 30S: ribosomal protein S21-rpsU
- Organism: Escherichia Coli K-12
- UniProt ID: 
- Description: The ribosomal proteins come along with two subunits of ribosomes that are responsible for carrying out translation. Ribosomal protein S21 is a part of the 30S ribosomal subunit. Its main molecular function would be as a structural constituent of ribosome. Ribosomal proteins play a significant role in the translation of mRNA to an amino acid sequence. Additionally, ribosomal proteins can act independently from the ribosome. They are able to take on replicase roles as well as play an integral part in the regulation and affecting development mechanisms through altered expression levels. .
- DNA Length: 213 base pairs.
- DNA sequence:
ATG CCT GTT ATC AAA GTT CGC GAA AAT GAG CCA TTT GAT GTT GCT CTT CGT CGT TTC AAACGC TCG TGT GAG AAA GCA GGG GTA TTG GCC GAA GTA CGT CGT CGC GAG TTT TAT GAG AAGCCT ACT ACA GAG CGT AAA CGT GCG AAA GCA AGT GCT GTG AAA CGT CAC GCT AAG AAA TTGGCA CGC GAG AAT GCA CGT CGT ACA CGT TTA TAC TAA
- Amino Acid length: 71 amino acids.
- Amino Acid sequence:
MPVIKVRENE PFDVALRRFK RSCEKAGVLA EVRRREFYEK PTTERKRAKA SAVKRHAKKL ARENARRTRL Y
Function and Homologs
- Functional Category: Translation
- Product: Ribosomal Protein S21
- Module: Ribosomal Protein
- Closest homologous proteins: The top (max three) homologous proteins to this protein, as identified by BLAST searches.
- 30S ribosomal protein S21 [Pantoea dispersa EGD-AAK13], 139/100%/1e-41/100%, [ ERH61965.1]
- 30S ribosomal protein S21 [Klebsiella pneumonia subsp. Pneumonia Kp13], 139/100%/1e-41/100%, [AHE42607.1]
- Multispecies: 30S ribosomal protein S21 [Bacteria], 139/100%/1e-41/100%, [WP_001144069.1]
- Equivalent E. coli / JCVI functional protein: MMSYN1_0482.
- Expression Level: HIGH.
- Expression Level Hypothesis: The gene is expressed at high levels due to its role as a structural constituent for ribosomes. Without high expression of this protein, there is a greater likelihood of complications in the initiation step of protein synthesis. Further, unlike ribosomal proteins such as L21, the lack of presence of S21 will impact the outcome of translation in all cases.
- Expression Level References and Description: Information for this hypothesis was procured from the NCBI page titled "The function of ribosomal protein S21 in protein synthesis." This information significantly supports the hypothesis of high expression levels indicated by the defects in S21-deficient subunits and the addition of S21 in S21-deprived subunits. 
- Expression Time: Early
- Expression Level Hypothesis: The gene is expressed early due to its necessity in the initial phases of protein synthesis. As this is overall a newly designed product and the presence of ribosomes is limited, it is necessary that the structural constituent of these needed ribosomes are present in a foundational scope.
- Expression Time References and Description: Research regarding time references was conducted via the NCBI page, "The function of ribosomal protein S21 in protein synthesis.". Further, research on rna deprivation on translation to amino acids also contributed to this hypothesis .
- Other Components: RimP EG11179
- Possible Dependencies: 16s rRNA, indicated by association with the 30s subunit is necessary for functionality of the S21 ribosomal protein .
- Process: Identify: Translation
- Inputs: mRNA + tRNA
- Outputs: rRNA
We will handle this - not part of your assignment
- Synthesis Score: The synthesis score: 1, 2,3
- Predicted Translation Rate: Prediction of construct translation rate from the RBS calculator
- Design Notes and Details:
- GenBank File: A link to the GenBank file. file