- ID: EG10965
- Name: gmk
- Organism: "E. Coli"
- UniProt ID: B7MFK9
- Description: Guanylate kinase, or GMP kinase, helps recycle GMP and cGMP by transferring a phosphate from ATP to GMP, resulting in ADP and GDP . This enzyme is highly conserved throughout prokaryotes, lower eukaryotes, and vertebrates for its transferase activity .
- DNA Length: 621 base pairs.
- DNA sequence:
ATG GCG CAA GGT ACG CTT TAT ATT GTC TCG GCT CCA AGT GGT GCT GGT AAA TCT AGT TTA ATT CAG GCA TTG TTA AAG ACT CAA CCG TTA TAT GAT ACTCAG GTT AGT GTG TCT CAC ACG ACT CGC CAA CCT CGT CCA GGC GAA GTG CAT GGT GAG CAC TAT TTT TTC GTC AAC CAT GAT GAA TTT AAA GAA ATG ATCAGC CGT GAC GCC TTT TTA GAA CAT GCA GAG GTA TTT GGA AAT TAC TAT GGA ACA TCT CGT GAG GCC ATC GAG CAA GTC TTG GCG ACC GGT GTG GAT GTTTTT TTG GAC ATT GAC TGG CAG GGT GCA CAA CAG ATT CGT CAA AAA ATG CCC CAC GCC CGC TCA ATT TTC ATC TTA CCA CCA AGT AAG ATC GAA TTG GATCGT CGT CTT CGC GGC CGT GGA CAA GAT TCC GAG GAG GTC ATT GCG AAA CGC ATG GCC CAA GCG GTA GCG GAA ATG TCC CAT TAC GCC GAA TAC GAT TACTTG ATC GTG AAT GAC GAC TTT GAC ACT GCG CTG ACT GAT TTG AAG ACG ATT ATC CGT GCG GAG CGC CTT CGC ATG TCC CGC CAA AAG CAG CGT CAT GACGCA CTT ATT AGC AAG TTG CTT GCC GAT TAG
- Amino Acid length: 297 amino acids.
- Amino Acid sequence:
MAQGTLYIVS APSGAGKSSL IQALLKTQPL YDTQVSVSHT TRQPRPGEVH GEHYFFVNHD
EFKEMISRDA FLEHAEVFGN YYGTSREAIE QVLATGVDVF LDIDWQGAQQ IRQKMPHARS
IFILPPSKIE LDRRLRGRGQ DSEEVIAKRM AQAVAEMSHY AEYDYLIVND DFDTALTDLK
TIIRAERLRM SRQKQRHDAL ISKLLAD 
- Expression Level: [medium]
- Expression Level Hypothesis: I would hypothesize that guanylate kinase needs intermediate expression because it catalyzes the reaction necessary to recycle GDP. The GDP/GMP pathway is used as an energy source for some cellular processes, but it much less used than other energy sources, such as ATP, resulting in intermediate expression of its catalytic enzyme.
- Expression Level References and Description: I gathered the information that guanylate kinase catalyzes the reaction to recycle GDP,  and found that guanylate kinase had intermediate protein levels in E. Coli proteome analysis 
- Expression Time: [early]
- Expression Level Hypothesis: I would hypothesize that guanylate kinase needs to be expressed early in the cell cycle because it catalyzes the reaction necessary to recycle GDP. As GDP is an energy source utilized in some cellular processes, its levels need to be maintained starting early in the cell cycle, but not necessarily right at the beginning of the cell cycle.
- Expression Time References and Description: I gathered the information that guanylate kinase catalyzes the reaction to recycle GDP,  and knew that GDP is used in some cellular processes, necessitating early expression in the cell cycle.
- Other Components: Module only has one component.
- Possible Dependencies: ATP generation 
- Process: GMP recycling
- Inputs: ATP, GMP
- Outputs: ADP, GDP
Function and Homologs
- Functional Category: Nucleotide salvage
- Product: Guanylate kinase 
- Closest homologous proteins: The top (max three) homologous proteins to this protein, as identified by BLAST searches.
- Guanylate kinase [Shigella flexneri 2a str. 301], 428/100%/7e-152/100%, [NP_709428.2]
- Guanylate kinase [Shigella boydii], 426/100%/4e-151/99%, [WP_075331205.1]
- Guanylate kinase [Shigella sonnei], 426/100%/6e-151/99%, [SIX59231.1]
- Equivalent E. coli / JCVI functional protein: MMSYN1_0203