- ID: EG11232
- Name: rpmJ
- Organism: E. coli
- UniProt ID: P0A7Q6 
- Description: This encodes for another ribosome component that allows for the translation of rRNA in the cell. Again, is expressed in a huge range of different organisms, indicating how powerful the ribosome is in life. See an excerpt from the EcoCyc site:
The L36 protein is a component of the 50S subunit of the ribosome [Wada87]. L36 is highly conserved in bacteria, mitochondria and chloroplasts, but not present in archaea and eukarya [Maeder05]. Ribosomes lacking L36 are correctly assembled. However, chemical protection experiments suggest that rRNA tertiary interactions are disrupted in ribosomes lacking L36, thus arguing that L36 plays a significant role in organizing 23S rRNA structure [Maeder05]. 2'-O-methylation of U2552 by 23S rRNA 2'-O-ribose U2552 methyltransferase promotes association between helices 92 and 71 of 23S rRNA; together with incorporation of L36, it promotes late steps of 50S ribosomal subunit assembly [Arai15]. 
- DNA Length: 117 base pairs.
- DNA sequence:
ATG AAA GTC CGC GCC AGC GTA AAG AAG TTG TGC CGT AAT TGC AAA ATC GTC AAA CGT GAC GGC GTG ATC CGC GTA ATT TGC AGC GCC GAA CCG AAG CAC AAA CAG CGT CAG GGG
- Amino Acid length: 38 amino acids.
- Amino Acid sequence:
MKVRASVKKL CRNCKIVKRD GVIRVICSAE PKHKQRQG
Function and Homologs
- Functional Category: translation.
- Product: ribosomal protein L36
- Module: translation Equivalog
- Closest homologous proteins: The top (max three) homologous proteins to this protein, as identified by BLAST searches.
- Equivalent E. coli / JCVI functional protein: [].
- Expression Level: Medium
- Expression Level Hypothesis: Because this is a subunit of the ribosome, it is important that it appears in copious enough amounts to promote early stable growth. However, it also cannot be over-expressed, because that has the potential to overwhelm the cell and drain it of the necessary resources.
- Expression Level References and Description: 
- Expression Time: Early
- Expression Level Hypothesis: However, because the gene is nonessential, should it never be produced, the cell would still survive, just would experience slower growth.
- Expression Time References and Description: 
- Other Components: This serves as a complement to speed up the work of the rRNA ribosome, so it is important that the components of the ribosome also be present. EG10238 chao16
- Possible Dependencies: It is important that the products of the transcription module be present in order for this gene to properly express EG10903
- Process: rRNA translation
- Inputs: AAs, glucose
- Outputs: rpmJ bonding protein