Michael Morrissey: 06024019
- ID: MMSYN1_0082
- Name: rpsT, (a.k.a. 30S ribosomal protein S20)
- Organism: JCVI3.0
- UniProt ID: F4MNW9
- Description: The S20 protein is a component of the 30S subunit of the ribosome and appears to be involved in translation initiation and the association of the 30S and 50S subunits [Gotz90]. S20 was also identified as antizyme 1, an inhibitor of the biosynthetic ornithine and arginine decarboxylases; these enzymes are involved in the biosynthesis of polyamine [Panagiotidis84]. Binds directly to 16S ribosomal RNA. Source: inferred from homologous gene description at ecocyc.org
- DNA Length: 243 base pairs.
- DNA sequence:
- Amino Acid length: 81 amino acids.
- Amino Acid sequence:
Function and Homologs
- Functional Category: Translation.
- Product: 30S ribosomal protein S20.
- Module: ribosomal subunit RNA binding.
- Closest homologous proteins: The top (max three) homologous proteins to this protein, as identified by BLAST searches.
- Equivalent E. coli / JCVI functional protein: EG10919.
- Expression Level: high.
- Expression Level Hypothesis: This gene is a subunit, essential to build ribosomes As ribosomes are a prominent feature in any cell, it makes sense that its subunits should be produced in high levels
- Expression Level References and Description: Mycoplasma genitalium simulation results provided in assignment specs. M genitalium Sim Protein Counts
- Expression Time: early
- Expression Time Hypothesis: as new cells grow, building new ribosomes is one of the first things they have to do in order increase protein synthesis capability. This protien is part of building ribosomes
- Expression Time References and Description: Expression time was gather from functional information of the gene found at [link]
- Other Components: MMSYN1_0672 rpsJ, ribosomal subunit involved in binding tRNA to the ribosome
- Possible Dependencies: One possible dependency of the ribosome is histidine biosynthesis because the ribosome requires amino acids in order to be of use.
- Process: formation of the 30S ribosomal subunit. Sources:(MMSYN1_0672 & http://www.biochem.umd.edul)
- Inputs: 16s ribosomal RNA & the 30s ribosomal subunit proteins S1-S21
- Outputs: 30s ribosome subunit
We will handle this - not part of your assignment
- Synthesis Score: The synthesis score: 1, 2,3
- Predicted Translation Rate: Prediction of construct translation rate from the RBS calculator
- Design Notes and Details:
- GenBank File: A link to the GenBank file. file