- ID: MMSYN1_0203
- Name: gmk
- Organism: JCVI_Syn3.0
- UniProt ID: F4MP96
- Description: Guanylate kinase, or GMP kinase, helps recycle GMP and cGMP by transferring a phosphate from ATP to GMP, resulting in ADP and GDP . This enzyme is highly conserved throughout prokaryotes, lower eukaryotes, and vertebrates for its transferase activity .
- DNA Length: 891 base pairs.
- DNA sequence:
ATG AAG AAA GGA AAG ATG ATT ATT ATC TCA GGA CCG TCG GGG GTT GGG AAG GGT TCG GTG AAC GGG GAA CTG CTT CAG AAC CCG GAT TTG CGC CTG AAATAC TCT GTG AGC ATG ACT ACC CGT AAA CCC CGT AAC GGA GAA ATT AAT GGT GTG AAC TAC TTT TTT GTC AGT AAC GAG GAG TTT GCG AAG GCG ATT GTCAAT GAC GAA TTA ATC GAA TAC GCG CAT TTC GTA GGA AAC AGC TAC GGA ACT CCC CGC AAG TAT GTA GAA CAG GAG CTT AAA AAG GGG AAT AAT GTA ATTTTG GAG ATC GAA GTG GAT GGC GCA ACT CAA GTT CTT AAC AAA GAG GCT AAT GTT CTT TCT ATT TTT CTG ATG CCC CCA AAC TTG ACA GAA CTT GCC AATCGC ATT CGC GGG CGC CAG ACT GAA GAT GAG GAG AAA ATT AAG GCA CGT CTG GAT AAA GCA CTG CTG GAA ATC CCA TTA AAG CAT AAC TAC CAG TAT GTGATC GAG AAT GAT AAT GTT GCT AAC GCC GTA GCC AAA ATT ACT GAT GTC CTG CAC CTG GAG GGA TTG ACC GAT ATC AAA ACA CCC ACC GTA TAC GAA CGTCTT GAA CAA ATC GTG GAA CAA ATT GTT AAG GAA AAG TAT ATG TAC TTT GTC AAC AAT TGG GAA ACG AAC GTC AAG TTG TTG GCC AAA AAC GAG GAA GAAAAA AAC AAA GCC AAG AAT TTC GAC GCA GAA ACA TAC CTG ATT AAA CTG TTA ACT AAA AAG GTG TAT CAT AAA GTG CTG GGT CAT GGT GAT TTT AGC AAACTT CTG GAT AAG GAT TTC GTC GAT TTC AAG ATT CAG AAG TTG ATG TTT AAA ATC AAT TTT TTT TCC GTG GAG CAA AAA CAC TAT AAC AAC GAC GAG TTC TAG
- Amino Acid length: 297 amino acids.
- Amino Acid sequence:
- Expression Level: [low]
- Expression Level Hypothesis: I would hypothesize that guanylate kinase needs to be lowly expressed because it functions to recycle GMP in the cell. Although the GDP/GMP pathway is important for other cell processes, it is much less important and used than other energy sources, such as ATP, making the catalysis of its conversion less important.
- Expression Level References and Description: I gathered the information that guanylate kinase catalyzes the reaction to recycle GDP,  and found that there were only a few number of guanylate kinases in the M. genitalium whole cell model.
- Expression Time: [early]
- Expression Level Hypothesis: I would hypothesize that guanylate kinase needs to be expressed early in the cell cycle because it catalyzes the reaction necessary to recycle GDP. As GDP is an energy source utilized in some cellular processes, its levels need to be maintained starting early in the cell cycle, but not necessarily right at the beginning of the cell cycle.
- Expression Time References and Description: I gathered the information that guanylate kinase catalyzes the reaction to recycle GDP, , and knew that GDP is used in some cellular processes, necessitating early expression in the cell cycle.
- Other Components: Module only has one component.
- Possible Dependencies: ATP generation 
- Process: Recycling of GMP.
- Inputs: ATP, GMP
- Outputs: ADP, GDP
Function and Homologs
- Functional Category: Nucleotide salvage
- Product: Guanylate kinase 
- Closest homologous proteins: The top (max three) homologous proteins to this protein, as identified by BLAST searches.
- Guanylate kinase [Escherichia coli], 151/67%/4e-43/42%, [WP_032214628.1]
All other NCBI blast results were the same.
- Equivalent E. coli / JCVI functional protein: EG10965