- ID: MMSYN1_0840
- Name: nusG
- Organism: JCVI-Syn3.0
- UniProt ID: F4MR24
- Description: NusG encodes the transcription termination/antitermination protein NusG. This protein is needed for certain types of Rho-dependent termination. Rho-dependent termination involves the rho protein, which binds to RNA-polymerase to detach it from the DNA its transcribing, thereby terminating transcription . Rho is a ring-shaped ring-shaped protein with both helicase and ATPase functionalities. Its helicase activity is what ultimately releases the the mRNA in termination  NusG binds to Rho which increases the efficiency of Rho-dependent termination, possibly overcoming a kinetic limitation of Rho’s functionality . When Rho is not present, NusG increases the rate of transcription elongation by suppressing RNA-polymerase pausing to a certain extent . NusG is also utilized in the antitermination of ribosomal RNA and lambda phage transcription .
- DNA Length: 639 base pairs.
- DNA sequence:
ATG ACG TAT GAA GAG ATC AAA CAA TTA GAA GAC GAA ATT CTT GAA GCA AAA GGC CAG TGG TTC GTA ATT AGC TGT CAA ACC GGA CAT GAG GAA AAA GTT TTG GGT GAC CTT CAA CAG AAG ATT AAA AGT GCA TCA ATC GAA GAC GAG GTT TTT TCA ATC AAA ATT TCA AAG GCT AAT CTG GTA TCT AAA AGT GGC AAA TCC TCT ATC AAG AAT AAA TTC CCG GGG TAT ATT TTC ATC AAC ATG ATT ATG AGC GAA AAG GCC TGG TTT CTG ATC CGC AAC ACC CCG GGT GTA ACC GGA TTT ATC GGA TCG AGC GGA CGC GGT GCT AAG CCC TCG CCC CTG ACG ACT GAA GAG ACG CTG AAC ATG CTT GTC CCT AAC TTG GAG GAG ATT GAA CAA GCT CAT GAG CAG GAG CAG CAA GAA GAA AAC TTG AAG AAC GAG GCA GTA AAT AAG AAG GAA TTG TTC ACC GCT AAT TTT AAG GTA GGG GAT GTC GTC CGC GTT AAA TCT GGT ATT CAC GAA AAC GAG GAG GGC ACT GTT AAA GAC ATG GAC TTC TCG AAA GGG GTA GCG TTT GTA GCC ATC GAA ATG TTT GGC CGT TGG ACG ACC TTA GAA GTT TCT TTC AAG AAC GTA GAA CCG ATT AAG GAG TAT
- Amino Acid length: 213 amino acids.
- Amino Acid sequence:
Function and Homologs
- Functional Category: Transcription
- Product: Transcription termination/antitermination protein NusG
- Module: Rho-dependent termination.
- Closest homologous proteins: The top (max three) homologous proteins to this protein, as identified by BLAST searches.
- Transcription termination/antitermination protein NusG (Mycoplasma mycoides) 432/100%/3e-153/100% WP_013729924.1
- Transcription termination/antitermination protein NusG (Mycoplasma feriruminatoris), 401/100%/4e-141/92%, WP_008363102.1
- Transcription termination/antitermination protein NusG (Mycoplasma capricolum), 397/100%/2e-139/90%, WP_019269140.1
- Equivalent E. coli / JCVI functional protein: EG10667
- Expression Level Estimate: High
- Expression Level Hypothesis: The expression level of nusG is estimated to be high since it's involved in the transcription process (specifically elongation and termination), which is a crucial activity in all cells. This is because the resulting mRNA from transcription is then translated to synthesize proteins that are needed for cell growth and cellular functions.
- Expression Level References and Description: This expression level is estimated using the M. genitalium model data. Since M. genitalium is closely related to M. mycoides, it can be used as an estimate gene expression levels in M. mycoides.
- Expression Time Estimate: Early
- Expression Time Hypothesis: Since nusG is involved in transcriptional elongation and termination, it is likely that it is expressed early to help facilitate that process early on. Transcription needs to occur early on because the mRNA produced is crucial to the synthesis of proteins that are needed for cellular structure and function.
- Expression Time References and Description: I made this expression time estimate based on what is known about the importance and ubiquity of the transcriptional process.
- Other components: MMSYN1_0300
- Possible Dependencies: Nucleotide synthesis
- Process: NusG is involved in transcriptional termination.
- Inputs: mRNA (with hairpin) + RNA polymerase + Rho (bound) + ATP
- Outputs: mRNA (free) + RNA polymerase + Rho (unbound) + ADP
- Reference: 
We will handle this - not part of your assignment
- Synthesis Score: The synthesis score: 1, 2,3
- Predicted Translation Rate: Prediction of construct translation rate from the RBS calculator
- Design Notes and Details:
- GenBank File: A link to the GenBank file. file